Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fruit isn't technically dessert

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted in so long.  I actually have two posts for tonight, so I'll get right to it.

The title of this post is true.  Technically, I don't consider any fruit based item 'dessert'.  I won't order the 'fruit tart' at a restaurant.  MAYBE pie can count because it is encased in flaky, lardy deliciousness, but that's beside the point.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a few containers of lovely looking blackberries that were $1 each at the grocery store.  I knew we'd never eat them all plain, so I set about looking for a fruit crisp kind of recipe in my cookbooks.  I hit the jackpot in my pink Better Homes & Garden cookbook.


Fruit Crisp
5 c. sliced, peeled cooking apples, pears, peaches, or apricots, or frozen unsweetened peach slices
2 - 4 TBSP granulated sugar
1/2 c. regular rolled oats
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, ginger, OR cinnamon
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. chopped nuts or coconut

1. For fruit filling, thaw fruit if frozen.  Do not drain.  Place fruit in a 2-quart square baking dish.  Stir in the granulated sugar.

2. For topping, in a meduim bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg.  Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in nuts.  Sprinkle topping over fruit.

3. Bake in a 375 oven for 30 - 35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender and topping is golden.  If desired, serve warm with ice cream.

I followed the variation for blueberry crisp with my blackberries:  Prepare as directed, except use 5 c. fresh or frozen blueberries [blackberries] for the fruit.  Use 4 TBSP granulated sugar, and add 3 TBSP all purpose flour.


The result was bubbly and tantalizing (or is that me...wait...)


It was really good.  The blackberries were just tart enough that the end product wasn't too sweet.  I did have it with ice cream, so technically it wasn't ONLY fruit.  I think fruit crisp is a great way to use up fruit in the fridge that's on its way out.  The topping is made with pantry staples.  It's a crowd pleaser, for sure!

On to the next baking adventure............

1 comment: