Monday, June 7, 2010

Cupcakes can taste good when they're flat

I'm just sayin'...

So, we threw a party on Memorial Day Sunday.  I thought I would try a recipe from my "Little Black Book of Chocolate" by Barbara Bloch Benjamin.



I had all of the ingredients to try to make the Festive Chocolate Roll, BUT, no parchment paper.  And, when I went to find a 'jelly roll pan', there was nothing to be found.  I suppose I have to try a specialty store to find what I need.

SO, I went for the chocolate cupcakes.  Here's the recipe:

1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 c. cake flour
1-1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/3 c. milk, divided
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
Frosting of choice

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease 24 muffin cups and set aside. 

Cream butter in large bowl.  Combine dry ingredients and stir into butter.  Add 1 cup milk slowly and beat until smooth. 

Stir in remaining 1/3 c. milk, eggs, vanilla, and chocolate.  Pour into prepared muffin cups and bake in preheated oven 20 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes, remove from pans, and cool on racks.  Frost as desired.

So, first step, no problem.  I went to my favorite source of cooking spray for baked goods:



Since I live at 6000+ feet, I adjust the amount of leavening agent down (baking soda/powder).  Other than that minor adjustment, I made the recipe as written.  The batter looked amazing.



Unfortunately, the finished product didn't look quite as lovely as the batter.........


Notice the burnt edges, the flat cupcakes.  Pulling them out of the pan was even worse.  Most of the time, the muffin tops fell off the bottoms (if only I could get rid of my own muffin top so easily).

BUT, they tasted fantastic.  They were moist and lovely with a glass of milk.

I didn't serve them at my party because they weren't pretty enough.  My friend, Lisa, told me that she stopped adjusting for the altitude because her cookies and cakes always turned out flatter when she did.  Go figure..

On to the next baking adventure......................

xo, Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment